Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Councilman Joel Burns from Ft Worth, TX responds to my e mail "It Get's Better"

I had e mailed Joel Burns after hearing his emotional speech about gay youth bullying. I've attached his orginal video I replied to, and his e mail response to me today.

Thank you Joel Burns. Your words touched off a firestorm of support for the LGBTQ  youth community. This was your defining moment, and I hope that your re-election is won by a landslide victory. I will do ANYTHING to help - I am sure my readers will too.


Dear Kevin,

Thank you so much for reaching out to me in response to my comments at the Fort Worth City Council meeting.  I spoke out in the hopes that a few people in my community would hear my story and feel supported, and maybe inspired to take action in support of someone they knew was suffering.

I never could have imagined the overwhelming response to my story.  People from around the world reached out, including thousands in the LGBTQ community who shared their own experiences.  I can’t thank you enough, and I apologize it’s taken me so long to work through and reply to the more than 20,000 emails and Facebook messages.

I shared my story because I think it’s vital that our community share a truth with bullied teens: that things change and as I said at Council, life indeed does get better.  It means the world to know that you’re with me; you’re now a part of my own story.

This year I’ll be running for re-election to continue to serve constituents in Fort Worth.  If it is okay with you, I would like to stay in touch.  I’ll add you to my joelburns.com database and send you an update of what I am doing as the conversation continues.

Again, thank you.
Joel

Joel Burns

Fort Worth City Councilmember
councilman@joelburns.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

RiseUpToHIV Daily News Digest