Sunday, February 13, 2011

Seeking 2 million volunteers Worldwide; "voices in unity strengthening community"

My logo; Reaching for the cure
I have a simple favor to ask of you. Will you join me in the fight against HIV/AIDS, and throw your support behind a campaign I am calling "voices in unity strengthening community".  As  many of you know I was diagnosed with HIV in March 2010, and the next month with follow up lab work was told I also contracted Hepatitis C (non IV drug user).  Since my diagnosis I have been Rising Up by advocating, sending letters to my Senators and to the President, to Health Departments, and others in the field. I have been speaking out about HIV/AIDS through my blog, Facebook, and twitter page, and I am standing out by creating campaigns that are relevant to the times we are living in.  In this year I have met many in the field who too are rising up, standing out, and speaking up and they have all been such an inspiration to me.

We are no longer living in the 80’s and 90’s when the disease was most deadly.  HIV is no longer a death sentence, and with medicine today, and adhering to this medicine those infected with HIV have almost no risk of infecting others, the virus is nearly eradicated.  Scientists and other experts in the field are talking about a possible cure (total eradication) in the coming years;  there seems to be this growing benchmark that maybe by 2015 we will have a cure.
Through my own experiences, and working with others it will be my lifes work until we have a cure to help de-stigmatize this disease, educate others, and bring further awareness to a disease that many have become complacent to.
Hands of Unity
This year commemorates 30 years of the virus, and the time has come to re-ignite a movement that began in the 70’s and 80’s with the Stonewall riots for LGBT rights, and then in the 80’s with regard to HIV/AIDS.  I will not forget all those who came before me, those who passed away, and all those who paved the way to get where we are at today.  With that history in mind, and todays new technology we have a very unique moment in History to re-ignite a movement – a movement towards the cure.
As we have seen with the recent uprisings in the Middle East, social networking played a direct result in these people movements. While I am not looking to take down a Government, rather I am looking to topple a disease.  Voices in unity strengthen community, and together we can create the change, keep up the momentum towards the cure, and in the meantime keep educating the public and bringing further awareness to this HIV/AIDS.
All you have to do is click on my Facebook page and click like and/or follow me on Twitter @RiseUpToHIV.  I thank you in advance for standing with me.  I will not give up until we have the cure.
Your Friend in the fight against HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C,
Kevin Maloney



Message of Hope



No comments:

Post a Comment

RiseUpToHIV Daily News Digest