Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Joel Burns Heads to Washington to discuss teen/gay bullying prevention

Joel burns is a Texas councilman that gave a very emotional plea about gay bullying and described his story of being gay and being bullied in school. He sparked off The Trevor Project.  See his emotional speach below and read his note about heading to Washington.




Friends,
Last night the White House invited me to join President Obama and the First Lady tomorrow at the White House Conference on Bullying Prevention.  I am so honored to be able to participate in this event and wanted to let you know that I am taking you with me.  

I'm taking your e-mails, your calls, your personal stories, and your support with me tomorrow to work with other advocates and policymakers on a plan to ensure that every child knows and believes in their self-worth and can grow and learn in a safe environment.

I did the same on Monday, when I joined the parents of Asher Brown, David and Amy Truong, at the Texas Capital to ask lawmakers to support proposed legislation (HB 224 & SB 242) which would give teachers and administrators the tools they need to combat bullying in Texas Schools.
As I leave later today for Washington and throughout the conference tomorrow, I will be posting on twitter.com/joelburns and facebook.com/imwithjoel with updates. In fact, there will be a special Facebook Live event where you can take part in our discussion tomorrow. I want you to join in.  For a full agenda of the conference program, and additional information please check joelburns.com.

Again, I am honored the President and First Lady have included me in this historic event and that you have entrusted me with your stories and support.  We're going together to the White House tomorrow to take the issue of bullying to the highest levels of our government.  Thank you for being a part of it.
Joel
Joel at Equality Texas Press Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment

RiseUpToHIV Daily News Digest