Sunday, May 15, 2011

I am Human, say hi to me; a piece I wrote




Take away the V from HIV and what do you have left? “Hi”

I am a brother, daughter, sister, neighbor, father, friend, cousin and a son.

I am a teacher. I’m a news anchor, a firefighter, police officer, doctor, a nurse; I save lives

I am a grandfather; I am a grandson

I am an actor, politician, and a priest.

I serve in the military; I am a veteran

I am a CEO; I am your colleague

I change the oil in your car; I am the cashier at the grocery store you shop at

I am the homeless guy you pass on the street

I am Human; say Hi to me


I am a new born, 7 years old, 13, 19, 24, 32, 47, 54, 62, 74, 82

I am a child, a teenager, adult, and a senior citizen

I am a man, a woman; I am transgendered.

I am straight, bi, and gay

I am your lover

I live the United States, Africa, Europe, South America, and the Middle East. I hail from Iran, Uganda, London, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Istanbul, Lybia, Syria, and Afghanistan. I am from Japan, live in the Caribbean, Canada, and the Isle of Man.

I am white, black, Native American, Hispanic/Latino, Arab, Asian, European, Chinese, and Oriental

Most importantly and above all

I am Human; say hi to me

I sat next to you on the plane today

We stood in line together

That was me in the car driving beside you

My hand brushed up against yours on the subway

Your kids go to school with mine

I am your classmate

I was on the treadmill next to you at the gym

We drink from the same water fountain, swim in the same pool, congregate in the same areas

I am Human; say Hi to me

I am gay and you may not be

I have HIV and you may not

I have Hepatitis C and you may not have that either

I am shy and you may not be

You may not be a lot of the things I am or have; but I am still your neighbor, friend, colleague, classmate and your son.

And as long as I am here; I am somebody

I am Human; say hi to me


By: Kevin Maloney
Founder of RiseUpToHIV
Follow me on facebook and twitter @RiseUpToHIV

No comments:

Post a Comment

RiseUpToHIV Daily News Digest