Thursday, September 27, 2012

HIV/AIDS Poem Contest: Submission #6: "Paramour"



Paramour

Dear lover,

it's been six years, two months, and nine days since we officially met.
yours is a kind of 'love' (if you wanna call it that...)
I couldn't manage even if I tried...2 forget

we played cat & mouse 4 YEARS b4 our love became a harsh & true reality...
a wicked and twisted
game of tug of war is what we engaged in ...cartoonish terms,
it was your tom 2 my jerry.

I knew many of your past exploits long b4
we danced our first 'dance'
4 that reason alone I knew u were dangerous
in a word...
a cumbersome, perilous, risk, on which only a fool  such as I...would take a chance

the list of hearts & lives you've claimed is far too long 2 count...
u been at this shit 4 years & sadly show no signs of slowing down...

I remember introducing family & friends 2 u...
& their shock when I brought u home
but we both knew what they couldn't
that after having survived loving u...
it was only then that I would know what it meant
2 really, TRULY be strong

I only think of you from time 2 time...now
2 be precise, every six months or so...
because as turbulent as our love affair was...
u took me places no other love allowed me 2 go

I came of age because of u
so in a sense I should be thanking u
its not often that I even think of u...
but inevitably, unfortunately...
you'll always be a part of me...

dear lover...
for some reason u crossed my mind 2day
so I elected reluctantly 2 reach out
tis I...one of your nameless faceless casualties...
reflecting on how you've affected me...
signed yours truly...
2 u from me...

my sordid, complicated, subject & recipient of this letter,
HIV

© Monte J. Wolfe



founder of Brave Soul Collective, an arts/education/outreach organization with a focus on HIV/AIDS, & issues affecting the lives of those in the LGBTQ community

17 comments:

RiseUpToHIV Daily News Digest