Friday, October 19, 2012

Poem Submission #21 "Saving Private Bryan"



Saving Private Bryan

Knowing that the shoe fits
I'm the guy from Massachusetts.
I've come here seeking friendship
and sail the 7 Seas
and maybe find some comfort
in my 21-year disease.
Finally feeling fortunate,
my smile now sincere,
my struggles left behind me
speaking with no fear...

Yet I fear my limbs on strings
and skin that feels like paper
and all my other assets
that soon began to taper.
Temples of doom,
eye sockets that bloom
and a concave face
that resembles the moon.
Veins on my body that look like a map,
never directions for a normal crap.
Blind to the mirror,
afraid that I'll see
what lipoatrophy has done to me.

Fearing old friends in public,
avoiding eye to eye,
the double take I get
makes me want to cry.
Crying doesn't help,
the tears begin to race
quickly down the grooves
of my tired, sunken face.
Unprotected hetero sex
was my crime of passion
and now I'm serving time
living in puppet fashion.
Isolation by choice has kept me apart,
avoiding the stress that once stopped my heart.

But now I'm saving Private Bryan
from all these years of lying
too much pride to admit,
too much love to submit,
to a disease that could mean dying.

I've come back to my safe haven
where I know I'm accepted,
to gather more strength
from people affected.
I'm so happy to be here with my infection,
I hope and pray we made a connection.


By Bryan Fleury


3 comments:

  1. Amazing poem written by an amazing man. I am lucky enough to have heard his story more than once at my high school 7 years ago and I am proud to say that my friend Bryan has taught me lessons that no one else ever could ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredibly descriptive prose. The metaphors of maps,lines, puppets and strings provoke a visit to the very places where tears flow. This is a poem to be printed and looked at many times.
    Brilliant, Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing use of metaphoric prose. Maps, grooves, vens, lines, strings and puppets lead to an indelible trail where the subject sheds tears. It becomes more complex on a second reading, and I will be returning to this poem again to find more treasures. Simply beautiful. Simply brilliant, Mr. Fleury.

    ReplyDelete

RiseUpToHIV Daily News Digest